Thursday, June 5, 2008

Gotta Love Her!

Those of you who know me, know that musical theatre runs in my veins. I love it! There are certain performers amongst us in this world whose talent exceeds our expectations. Some we all can collectively agree upon the fact that we just love them. I don't know anyone who doesn't love Julie Andrews, Audra McDonald, or the greatness of Ethel Merman.

However, there are performers who are tremendously talented yet are more of an...acquired taste.

I recently had a conversation with a director whose opinion I highly value. He mentioned to me that he loves the show Gypsy but hates Patti LuPone. I'm sure it doesn't help that he saw Gypsy years ago when Tyne Daly had her Tony winning performance as Mama Rose. Who would want to see it again after that? My point is, Patti is definitely one of those performers who you either love, or hate. Personally, I love her...no matter how much of a bitch people claim her to be.

Last semester I was working on a piece from West Side Story with a wonderful actress from my program. During the process I did some research on our particular song...and came across this little nugget of fun.

Turn up your volume kiddies...and enjoy. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... not a fan of the old lady wobble .. but I know that if I don't go to see Gypsy, I will hate myself!

Justteeners said...

dude- I don't like ethel merman. No idea how she got famous. 5 seconds of listening to her sing "theres no business like show business" makes me want to scream!

Love the blog by the way!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.